Spider-Woman Cosplay, the Details and Accessories


I am fairly detail-oriented, and so I wanted to get all the details of my Spider-Woman cosplay, the triangle shape snap on the collar, the belt and the glasses needed to be as true to the character as I felt I could make them.
I had picked up a broken dishwasher with a stainless steel front for free, and decided to use the metal from that to make the triangle piece for the jacket, and a belt buckle cover. I could wear a yellow elastic belt I happened to have. Below is a video of me using a grinder and then dremel to shape the small piece for the jacket. The idea is basically the same for the buckle cover, the major difference being just that the metal tabs are bent a little differently. 



Above you can see how the tabs are bent into loops or arches. Below you can see the tabs are bent leaving room for the buckle of the belt to slide underneath. You can see that I didn't bother to make the back sides pretty, so the metal looks rough but all edges were smoothed and sanded to make it safe to wear without being cut. 

The image above is a template I used to trace on to the metal for the belt buckle cover. 
I didn't wait quite long enough for the spray paint to dry between the yellow and black, so the black got a cool crackle effect, which I kind of like. A "happy accident" as Bob Ross would say. 
I felt that the metal work was fairly easy. The glasses took a little more figuring out, and (being a bit of a perfectionist) I am not as happy with the result as I would like, but I feel it adequately completes the costume. I began with making a template out of paper, and then tracing it onto my plexiglass.  


Once I had the shape traced onto the plastic I cut it using my dremel with the mini grinder attachment, same one I used to clean up the metal edges of the buckle and triangle piece. I also used  cut out the pieces that would hook over the ear.  
 Once that was done I used a heat gun and shaped the front part, curving it just a little
I then sanded the plastic so that when I spray painted it the paint would have no trouble adhering to the plastic. This step made it look just a little foggy. 

I had bought a pair of yellow lens goggles I was going to use for my lenses, but I think I was working a little too fast with the heat gun when I tried to shape them to match the curve of my glasses. The plastic started to look wrinkly and were useless as glasses, but I was still able to cut off the hinge and superglue it to my glasses,so they would hinge open and closed. I also used the rubber piece that sits on the nose for my glasses. 
In the end I made lenses out of the same plexiglass as the frames, which I tinted yellow by mixing food coloring, water, and glossy acrylic medium. I applied this after I shaped the lens, so it pooled a little in the middle. The end result makes it a little unclear to look through, but you could still wear them without hazard, I just wouldn't suggest driving while wearing. 

If you want to see more about my Spider-woman cosplay-making journey, you can 
Click Here for more about the jacket
Click Here for more about the gloves
Click Here for more about the boots. 
To see how the costume came together in my photo shoot Click Here

Comments

Popular Posts